I am starting a series called “Shift Happens” where I discuss my monthly books, podcasts, videos, and music that I am loving. Over the past several years, I have changed my mindset and outlook on life through reading books and listening to podcasts. I am writing this series in hopes that together through these mediums we can shift to more positive, loving, and enlightened mindsets to grow into our best selves. I love self-improvement, so taking time to evaluate where I am and where I want to be is vital for my growth, not only in sports, but in everyday life as well. Although I am not in school, at the moment, I am learning and thriving through all the ways I can to better myself from the time I wake up to the time I go to bed. In this monthly series, I will share the books and podcasts that I am loving, maybe songs, Youtube videos, or movies that I loved! Last year I read a handful of self-help books, so these first few months of the year I will be sharing one of those books along with the book I am currently reading! I am keeping these posts broad for now because I am just starting them, but we will see where this goes:)
SO, my February Picks:
- The Balanced Blonde Soul On Fire – Episode 69 with Trevor Hall (musician) and Debra Silverman (Astrologist) & Episode 72 with Allie Michelle (podcaster/poet/young spiritual human)
- Oprah’s SuperSoul Conversations – Cheryl Strayed from Dec. 7th (author) & Brian Grazer Jan. 31st (writer/author/producer)
- You Are A Badass by Jen Sincero – I read this book three times last year! It seriously changed my life! Jen is insightful and funny and each time I read it I learn more and more. My book has highlights, annotations running through the margins, and words circled. I really dove fully into this book with my annotations and thoughts! Allow this book to pick at your brain and bring thoughts into light that you may not have thought of before. Also, if you’re not a big reader that’s ok! cuz most of the chapters are short:)
- Judgment Detox by Gabby Bernstein – I am currently reading this book every night before I go to sleep. I loved loved loved The Universe Has Your Back which I will be discussing next month, so Judgment Detox has alot to live up to! But, so far I am really enjoying it. Due to experiences in my life, I try to not a judge a book by it’s cover (literally and figuratively). However, everyday I am still learning so much by reading this book, like working to “release the beliefs that hold me back from living a better life” as Gabby says.
- The Greatest Showman – still in theaters, The Greatest Showman, is an amazing musical about P.T. Barnum using outcasts in society to build the circus we know of today. I completely understand not liking the circus or what it stands for, but this movie, instead, is all about humanity. The music is beautiful and the movie all around is very powerful! I laughed, cried, and smiled through the whole thing. Immediately after seeing it, I downloaded the songs because I loved them so much! The whole cast had stellar performances. If you look at the ratings and reviews of this movie it will steer you away from seeing it, but as just a movie viewer who enjoys uplifting and inspirational movies this movie is a must-watch! p.s. what can’t Hugh Jackman, Zendaya, Michelle Williams, Zac Efron, and basically the whole cast do? Singing.. check. Dancing.. check. Acting.. check.
- Songs: (all pump-up songs great for working out!)
There you have it! Those are my February picks for my Shift Happens segment. Leave a comment if you are wanting to read, listen, or watch any of these! OR if you have already read, listened, or watched any of these let me know what you thought about it.